Helping you to make the most of your money

​Whether you are just moving into one of our properties or already a resident, managing your bills is always a challenge. The following sections are full of practical hints and tips, links to useful websites and advice about making the most of your money.

Remember that you can always come and talk to us directly – contact your Housing Officer here…

Moving in

​Moving into one of our homes? This can be an expensive time but you may be able to cut costs…….

Read more here...

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service has been set up to help people make the most of their money and give free, unbiased money advice across the UK ...

Read more here...

Better budgeting

​Are you making the most of your money? It’s possible to save money on everyday expenses and make your money go further……
Read more here...

Borrowing money

​Thinking of taking out a loan? Make sure you don’t pay too much for the money you borrow and know all of the options available to you…….
Read more here...

Falling into debt

​Are you struggling to make ends meet and unsure where to go for advice……

Read more here...

Benefit Changes Update

​The Government is making changes to the benefits system...
Read more here...

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction


Have you had a change in your circumstances and forgotten to report it to the


It is an offence not to tell the Council  about a change of circumstances that affects your Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction entitlement and could result in them taking action against you which could include prosecution. Delays in reporting changes may result in a loss of entitlement or an overpayment (which may be recovered from you). If you have had a change you should notify the Council immediately.


Types of changes that you need to report to the Council  

Examples of changes may include the following however this list is not exhaustive:-

  • If the income of anyone in the household changes in any way including wage or pension increases.
  • If you move – confirming date moved and forwarding address. Or if you leave your home for any period likely to exceed 13 weeks.
  • If someone in your household, including yourself and partner, starts or ceases to receive Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Guaranteed Credit, Universal Credit or any other benefit.
  • If any rent you receive from a sub-tenant increases or decreases.
  • If someone enters or leaves your household – confirm date and the previous or forwarding address.
  • If the circumstances of someone in the household changes, e.g. starts work, leaves school, ceases to be on a training course, gets married, etc.
  • If you have any capital/savings of over £6,000 (working age) and £10,000 (pensionable age) please inform us of any changes over £250 or if your capital exceeds £16,000


A free Government service to help millions of people better understand their State Pension has been expanded.

Anyone over the age of 55 is now able to request a personalised State Pension statement, giving them an estimate of what they are likely to receive based on their current National Insurance (NI) record. Before, the scheme was only open to people over the age of 60.

Extending the service will equip people with vital information as they consider their options under the new rules.

Minister for Pensions Steve Webb said: "I've always been clear that people should be given the freedom to make their own financial decisions - but it's crucial everyone has all the information to help them to make the right choices.

"We are making sure people have the resources and support they need... so they can take the time to plan how to best use their pension saving for a secure retirement."

To get a State Pension statement, call Newcastle Pension Centre (Futures Group) on 0345 3000168 (Textphone: 0845 3000169). Statements can also be obtained by downloading the application form from the website.